I am so excited to be offering a new feature on my blog. Okay, here's the deal, each month I will do a "spotlight" on a particular non-profit organization or program focused on helping others. I will donate $x (amount depending on number of comments and our financial standing) for every comment made on that particular blog entry (comments must be made on actual blog site and not through email). Also, anyone who makes a donation to that organization will receive $15 in print credit with Priscilla Baierlein Photography for every $25 they donate. I ran across this first spotlight organization today (it's really what got me thinking about ways I could help out). Reading the stories and seeing the pictures touched my heart. This was only amplified when I read about the founder. At only 17, Felicia Reinhard , has had a very difficult life herself. Now, she is giving back and helping others! You can read more about Felicia here. She's truly amazing.
"Our mission at The Littlest Heroes Project is to help provide and capture memories for families who are dealing with hectic schedules due to having a child who is suffering from a serious illness or life altering disability. We understand that in the midst of being thrown a diagnosis and having to switch from a “normal” life to a life that is totally different, and often scary, things like getting photos taken is sometimes a huge challenge and is one of the last things families are thinking about. But when everything is done, and either the child has reached the end of their battle, or has proven the odds against it many wish they had more time to stop, and capture the journey that they lived through for so long. Through Littlest Heroes our photographers understand each and every case, and cater it to fit and honor each child and family. Our photographers are on hand to travel to homes, hospitals, clinics, fundraisers, and benefits to help capture your child’s journey in a “Day in the life” sort of style and work personally one on one with your child and entire family to get those special family photos and moments that you can cherish for years to come."
- Photo sessions for children infant-21 who are dealing or have delt with any type of serious illness, children who have been a part of any type of serious illness resulting in illness or disability.
- Photo sessions for families who have lost children within the last 3 years due to a serious accident or illness.
- Organizations or foundations holding events/fundraisers for a child or for children suffering with serious illnesses.
All services are free as a way to give back to the smallest of hereos.
To apply for services:
Please click HERE to apply for these services.
*Please note that Littlest Heroes sessions run from FEBRUARY-OCTOBER. Only children with terminal illnesses are set up with photographers over the holiday season.*
Please click here to read FAQ's.
How can I help?
- I Believe Team- "Just like we match photographers we will match a little hero from our project with young people from the I Believe Team who would like to collect donations or hold a toy drive at their school, church, with friends, or wherever they can find donations. All collected items are then sent back to us where we are able to then make special care packages for the children to get when we go for their photo shoots, visit them in hospitals, or are needing an extra smile because of surgery etc. This is our hands on way for children, young people, and adults alike to learn what what giving back really means. The goal behind the I Believe Team is to make children and young people more aware of these kids just like them who are fighting against some pretty big odds. We are teaching how to give back in a fun and interactive way. By being matched with a little hero the kids get a real look into the life of one of these amazing children and get the chance to make some new and very special friends. Together we can change the world and support these little heroes!"
- Families are welcome to sponsor a child
- Donate items such as: Photo props and costumes for the children (skirts, hats, boas,headbands, etc.); Boxes for sending packages; US postage Stamps; Gift bags; Photography materials of any kind (backdrops, lights,). "Most all of the donated items go right to the children from The Littlest Heroes that are already part of our team. But we also send donations to other places as well. When we hear of hospitals doing special donation events we also send donated items to them as well. In 2007 we sent over 1,000 hats to Children’s Memorial for their hat drive. Most of the hats came from a team who donated and collected them in memory of one of our fallen heroes who passed away from her cancer a few years ago. If we would like you to donate to a specifit hospital in honor of one of the children please let us know before you start your drive so we can figure out all of the details ahead of time!"
How can I become a part of this project?
*Applications for Littlest Heroes Team Photographers must be in by January 30th to be on the team roster for 2009.*
If you are a photographer who is willing to donate your time and talent to bring smiles to these deserving families by being a part of this project ... Please take time and read the information HERE and then submit the information at the bottom to apply to be a photographer for LHP!